Image above courtesy of Hannibal Industries
Cantilever rack is a racking system designed for storage of long, bulky, or awkward products such as rolls of carpet rolls, lumber, pipes and tubes, and other long format materials. Unlike any general purpose rack systems, cantilever racks do not have any vertical obstructions in the storage area of the rack system. Cantilever rack is also used in the storage of odd sized and/or awkward loads such as furniture.
It is called a cantilever rack because it uses a cantilever arms to hold product. A cantilever is a rigid structural element, such as a beam or a plate, that is anchored at one end to a vertical support, from which it protrudes.
A good example of a cantilever in a typical home is a floating shelf as illustrated below.
A cantilever rack system includes the following rack components:
- Bases which attach the rack system to the floor.
- Upright columns which connect to the base. These also feature holes in which the cantilever arms can be connected. This allows for the creation of storage levels. Uprights can be used for single and double sided units.
- Arms connect to the upright columns. They are used to hold product/materials.
- Braces are used to stabilize upright columns. These are used to provide horizontal and diagonal support.
- Decking can be used forsome applications, to create a solid shelf level to the cantilever storage arms. When used with decking, Cantilever rack can be used to store odd-sized or awkward loads such as items like long machine components or furniture.
See also: What is racking?
Where to buy Cantilever Rack?
Cantilever rack is available at most warehouse supply dealerships.
We recommend the rack experts at http://store.warehouseiq.com